4.19.2011

April 12, 1977

A friend's (Julie Eaton) note to me.

Age: 19

"from one of us who is not afraid to write on the opposite side - and upside-down at that (afterall, who puts regulations down when it's your own book...)
This thing you've probably heard alot, and I really think it's the way it is:
'If you love something very, very much; set it free. If it does not come back, it was never meant to be yours. But if it does, love it forever.'
So many things going for you, Andrea - your smile alone lights up my head like a shot of ginger brandy. I'd hate to think of you going through two more years of Westfield without even realizing who you are. Start looking around at all the positive stuff. Start liking it when you sense people liking you. Enough excuses from you to cover you till your 74 (then you can claim wrinkles, arthritis and senility - it's legitimate) Now's your time to shine...

If you love it, set it free, and if it never returns, something else will. Honest to shit (even on good friday) and if it does come back, I'll be so happy for you.

You mean so much to me that anything that could make you happy - I wish it for you. (drawings of sun, moom and stars) Happy Springtime"

Talking into winebottles - empty wine bottles -
Making noises - hollow noises -
Devoid of notes - no familiar tune -
Only the dust,
the glass,
the crushed grapes
keep me company.
Mr. Fermenter,
don't you know that grapes need love and care to ripen?

Background: Wow, this takes me back... Julie and I were both English majors. We would often study together during the week and use the extra time to read each others 'Nothing Book' entries. I had just written the Fermenter verse above, she grabbed the book, and pulled the book away from me and started to write upside down on the opposite side of the page I had written on. When I read her words, it was that friendship slap to tell me to 'Snap out of it!'...it's nice to see her words again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment